Friday, October 19, 2012

PAGE 94 ROCK SHRIMP WITH SPICY CHERRY TOMATO MARMALADE

Hard day, my motor transport chief retired.  As good as it is to see the ceremony and old friends, it is a reminder that things will never be the way they are again.  He's a great Marine who has devoted 28 years to serving his country.  I hope he finds employment.  It is a tough economy to be looking for a job.  The ceremony was nice, speeches good, and he felt our love.
Transitioning on, shout out to the Detroit Tigers!  I've been a fan since 1968 and would love to see a repeat of the Tigers and the Cardinals in the World Series.
Made the rock shrimp with spicy cherry tomato marmalade.  Not sure if the goodness was due to frying fresh shrimp, or the delicious batter, but they totally rocked!
I peeled and deveined the shrimp.  Not unpleasant.  Maybe not funs, but not unpleasant.  I used the basic frying batter from page 78, equal parts flour, cornstarch and water, with a little salt and vodka thrown in.  I might have thrown in a little extra vodka.  I crumbled up and tossed in a sheet of nori, which I had picked up on my last trip to....GrandMart!!
Made the spicy cherry marmalade while the fryer was heating.  It was simple, just heating halved cherry tomatos, sugar, lemon juice and a diced pickled cherry pepper until it thickens.
Dredged the shrimp and fried them.  The batter was nice, it got browned and crispy without being heavy.  The marmalade was a good dipping sauce, kind of sweet and sour.  The kids thought it should be a little spicier.I wouuld definitely make this again and would recommens the batter for anything you deep fry.  (Well, I guess I don't know, I've never had a deep fried twinkie or snickers bar.)  Tomorrow I'm going to the Chowhound recommended Italian Store to try to pick up ingredients!  Wish me luck, lots of cooking to do!

  Finished product, you can see the nori!
Same shot from another angle!


No comments:

Post a Comment