Tuesday, October 30, 2012

PAGE 52 MOZZARELLA PIES WITH BACON AND LEEKS (AND STUFFED MUSHROOM CAPS ALSO!)

We made it through Sandy!  No power outages and we are looking to get back to our lives tomorrow.  Two amazing recipes, I made mozzarella pies and Josh made stuffed mushroom caps.

Stuffed mushroom caps
Clean 4 portabello mushroom caps. 
Combine 1 lb crab meat,
1/2 lb shrimp
1/4 cup mayo,
 2 TBS old bay,
1 tsp worstchesire sauce,

Sautee
1/2 onion finely chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 jalepeno finely chopped

Mix with crabmeat mixture and add

2 cups shredded cheese (pepperjack or cheddar is good)

Mound on mushroom caps and broil for 15 minutes.  Serve piping hot.  If you have more stuffing than mushroom caps you can mound the stuffing on english muffins and broil.

I also made mozzarella pies, which were very good, if you don't mind working with phyllo dough.  I defrosted the phyllo dough the night before.  I sauteed the bacon while I cleaned 5 small leeks.  They weren't as dirty as leeks normally are, who knew?  I added the leeks to the bacon and cooked until the bacon was crispy and the leeks tender.  While they were cooking, I cut up the mozzarella and mixed with the bacon and leeks.

Uncooked and messy!

The hard part was making the pies.  I spread a couple of sheets of phyllo with melted butter, then cut into thirds.   I spread one end with the bacon mixture and folded liked a flag.  It tried to fall apart and the filling leaked out.  I pulled it together and baked them.  They were buttery and crisp and delicious.  I would make them again if I had a lot of patience.
Still messy, but cooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment