Tuesday, January 8, 2013

PAGE 121 GRANDMA'S POTATO GNOCCHI

Ha!  Had to look up the way to spell GNOCCHI in Mike's cookbook twice before posting this!  Kids and Harry napping.  Had a fun day in Quantico talking about Motor Transport.  It's all in strategic planning, thinking about the future while staying focused on the present.  Leading us to...potato gnocchi!

I've always been a bit ambivalent about gnocchi, finding them a little bland and wondering what they accomplished that other pasta did not.  I'm not sure these answered my question, they tasted like gnocchi...but they were GOOD gnocchi.

I baked 4 russet potatoes and let them cool until I could handle them.  Then I boiled a big pot of water and scooped the flesh out of the potatoes.  I don't have a potato ricer so I just mashed them up.  I stirred in a cup of flour, egg yolks, parm reggiano and a lot of salt.  The dough was rolled into ropes, floured, and cut into inch long pieces.  I didn't have a problem with the dough sticcking when I rolled and cut it, maybe I was just lucky.  The pieces went into the boiling water and cooked for 2 minutes.  I took them out and served them with the Grand Mother tomato sauce.

Like I said, they were good, not exceptional, but they weren't hard to make or anything.  I could taste potato, but I don't think that was bad or anything.  I can see myself making these again.

(Having problems uploading photos!)

No comments:

Post a Comment