Tuesday, June 4, 2013

PAGE 30 SHAVED FENNEL WITH PEACHES AND HAZELNUTS

I got some early peaches at the farmer's market in old town Alexandria (reported to be the oldest continuously operating farmer's market in America) and thought, why not?  I mean, I like peaches and hazelnuts, and at least like fennel a little bit.  How bad could it be?  Well...not bad, not bad at all.  In fact, kind of good!

I realized that 4 June is my 29th anniversary of supporting the Marine Corps.  I am  so humbled and grateful at being given the opportunity to work with the finest group of individuals to walk the face of the earth.  I am a much better person for knowing each and ever one of them...cheers to OPP, Spooner and Herbie!

I roasted 6 peaches (small ones, after quartering them and sprinkling them with olive oil and salt) at 375 for 10 minutes.  I simultaneously roasted 1/2 cups of hazelnuts.  While they were roasting I shaved 2 cups of fennel.   I actually couldn't find my mandoline so I just chopped the fennel finely.

I chopped the hazelnuts and peeled and chopped the peaches.  I took half of a peeled peach and put it into the food processer with olive oil, vinegar and salt to make a vinaigrette.  Tossed the remaining peaches and fennel, topped with vinaigrette and hazelnuts.  Tasted fresh, kind of sweet and tart.

Pictures aren't working.  Will upload later!

No comments:

Post a Comment